Bloggin’ My CSA: Lucky #7
I have to confess a bit of waste from delivery six. I never cooked the turnip greens. In my defense, they lasted about a day before they were terribly wilted, then they were completely dead before I could get to them.
On the rest of the stuff, I’ve still got some peppers, but everything else was eaten up in a pretty standard way. The tomatoes were among the best I’ve tasted all season.
I picked up delivery 7 of 10 last night, and it’s a nice one. Here’s a pic:
What’s in there?
- Celery with very abundant tops. I like the celery tops because they can be used like flat-leaf parsley (botanically-related, I believe). I like celery-leaf chimichurri.
- Kale: I like kale (earlier this season I roasted some), but until I was an adult I believed that it was the inedible stuff that went around bowls on salad bars. Not sure what I’ll do with this, but I think I have to act fast or suffer another turnip green situation.
- Tomatoes. Easy.
- Peppers. Poblano and “Italian Frying” peppers (what are these really called?). The Italian peppers already got cooked into some pasta sauce last night.
- Red potatoes
- Cauliflower and what a cauliflower! This bad boy weighs in at 3.25 lbs. I love pan-roasted cauliflower with toasted nuts and olive oil.
- Garlic chives will go in everything this week.
- Onions: faithful readers know that I use onions almost daily.
- Red leaf lettuce: 3/4ths of which was eaten as a green salad last night.
A couple bonus pics from the delivery:
Also, we’re putting the final touches on our 2009-10 Winter CSA guide. Stay tuned.