Bloggin’ My CSA: Second of Ten

July 8, 2009 at 7:21 pm

I picked up delivery number two today. It has a lot in common with delivery #1, but with a few notable interesting differences.

There is a built-in challenge this week considering my goal of 100% consumption. We’ll be on vacation for a couple days starting tomorrow. So, I had to approach this list with a little strategy. The box contains: red leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, curly parsley, purple bulb onions, kohlrabi, kale, garlic scapes, black raspberries (nice!), cucumbers, zucchini, snap peas, and the every-present eggs.

The red-leaf is already gone. It’s too delicate to mess around with so it immediately became a salad along with one of the two cucumbers. The scapes are gone too. They were sauteed with some green beans from last week’s market. The raspberries will be gone before bed, I’m sure.

The rest of the stuff can hang out for a few days in the fridge without any major problem. The snap peas will come on the trip with us and become road-trip snack food.

A few closeups:

I’m very excited about these ultra-flavorful black raspberries

I can’t remember the last time I’ve had this much curly parsley in the house. What to do with all this? I’m thinking tabbouli.

Eight zucchini was a bit of a surprise. It’s not my favorite veggie, so I’m open to any new and interesting suggestions. This is a lot to eat. My wife declared that anything over six zucchini officially qualifies as a “shit-ton”. I’ll be sick of zucchini for sure by this time next week.

Previously:
Bloggin’ My CSA: Delivery #1 Arrives

Zucchini Latkes
Delivery 3 Arrives (with delivery 2 follow up)

1. Matt Bergman says:

Try Zucchini and sweet potato bread. There is a recipe for it on epicurious.com. My wife is not a big zucchini fan either but the bread turned out great. No real zucchini taste at all. Very sweet tasting.

2. chriswei says:

Ours was a bit different this week: kohlrabi, collard greens, two yellow squash, a pattypan squash, garlic scapes, two cucumbers, romaine and red-leaf lettuce, flat-leaf parsley, black raspberries and sugar snap peas.

3. Katie says:

I’m envious of your zucchini, that’s my favorite! I make grilled zucchini topped with pesto (Whole Foods has a recipe on their site but it’s a cilantro-pecan pesto, I substitute basil pesto because I grow basil in my garden). I also like to make a zucchini based pasta sauce (freezes great!)

4. gastro gnome says:

I tried this Eric Ripert zucchini dish that was lambasted on LTH last year for the chiffonade of parsley: http://aveceric.com/2008/06/19/parmesan-zucchini-with-balsamic/

I don’t think the flavors were quite there, but the lesson learned is that thinly sliced, broiled zucchini can be the base for something.

5. Rob Gardner says:

Michael, first of all, that’s not zucchini bread zucchini. For that, wait until you get the mondo ones. For these, I have one word to you: fry baby.

You can get away with frying zukes with nothing more than a good flour dip, although batter fried are nice too. That home made mayo I mentioned yesterday would be put to good use along side.

Even better, fry them with NO batter. Then set them aside alla scapece, which means in a marinade of garlic, mint and vinegar. You will never rue zucchini again.

6. Yep. 6 zucchini so early in the season – it’s a daunting task. Luckily, we’ve got a whole housefull of guests this weekend, so tonight they are getting skewers of zukes, mushrooms and onions along with the lamburgers. I’ll slice them into rounds, quickly toss them with minced garlic, salt, pepper, splash of red wine vinegar and olive oil and a tablespoon of zaatar. grill 4min per side, and serve them up. My husband greatly dislikes zucchini, and gobbled this up last week.

7. Kenny says:

I think the key to enjoying zucchini is butter. More butter than you think you need.