What’s In Season is Back in Season and Where to Find It
Eat Local Again
We trust that you filled up your holiday tables with local winter squashes, beets and other good seasonal foods. Now, you’re ready to re-stock the larders. Sure, we enter the time of year when it’s less “what’s in season” and “what do ya got,” but there’s always something. And we got some places to find it. Like, make sure you got a good supply of local garlic,
From the Hoops and other Indoor Means
- Kales, chards and other cooking greens
- Tomatoes–yes, more to come on this!
From the Ground (Storage Crops)
- Winter squash and pumpkins
- Celery root
- Sweet potatoes
- Onions, shallots and garlic in various varieties–grab what you find!
- Cabbage and brussels sprouts here and there
- Radishes, including varieties like daikon and black–these are great storage items
- The roots you did not think about before — parsley, burdock, sunchoke, salsify, etc.
From the Trees and Bushes
- Meats, poultry, lake fish
- Milk, cheese and other dairy
- Grains and breads
- Select herbs
- Preserved and jarred products
Where to Find Local Food
Just because you won’t see the Condiment Queen does not mean you should skip the market at the Experimental Station Indoor Farmers Market on Saturday from 9am – 2pm. – 6100 S. Blackstone
Lots of seasonal produce as well as other great stuff to eat Sunday at the Logan Square Farmer’s Market, 10 AM to 3 PM - 2755 N Milwaukee Ave,
Green City Market is on Saturday from 8 AM to 1 PM - The Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum, 2610 N. Cannon Dr.
Glenwood Sunday Market meets this week from 9 AM to 2 PM (Sunday) – 6962 N. Glenwood
Friends of the Beet, the Wettsteins will have local meat, eggs for sale Saturday at the Buzz Cafe from 9 AM to 1 PM (earlier than their usual winter forays) – 905 S. Lombard
Faith in Place Winter Market at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church on Saturday from 9 AM to 1 PM – 611 Randolph St
Just this one his week, the Ecology Center – Saturday – 9AM – 1 PM - Ecology Center at the Ladd Arboretum, 2024 N McCormick Blvd
Winter market at the American Legion Hall Saturday from 9 – 12 - 11712 Coral St