pesto-rice stuffed portobellos with marinara
With an abundance of basil arriving in my weekly produce box I’ve been making a ton of pesto and topping every dish with a little basil and even working some into my morning green smoothies.
I use the pesto on things like gluten-free pasta, in dairy-free cheese sandwiches, and now stuffed into rice. Since I also received some gorgeous portobello mushrooms this week, I decided instead of using them to make burgers, to use them as a base for something bigger and much prettier.
- 2-4 whole portobello mushooms, 1 per person, seasoned with steak spice and grilled
- 1/2 cup cooked basmati rice per person
- pistachio and garlic scape pesto
- your favorite marinara sauce (I used portobello mushrooms, fresh basil, fresh parsley, fresh and sundried tomatoes in this batch)
- pre-heat oven to 350 F, assemble portobello mushrooms on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- mix rice with about 2 tbsp. pesto per serving of rice and stuff into portobello mushrooms
- top with your favorite tomato marinara sauce and bake until warmed through. If you want it a little crispy, broil on hi for about 5 minutes
- top with more fresh basil and additional marinara sauce if it dried out at all while baking
Find me on the web at www.BarefootEssence.com where I talk vegan awesomeness + urban-minimalist ramblings. Get oodles of free weekly support on your journey to an unfussy + unprocessed life with super easy vegan + gluten-free recipes by signing up for free updates.