Kohlrabi and Kale and Fennel…oh my!
Oh kohlrabi, you funny looking, alien-like creature, you. I’ve walked by you dozens of times at the grocery store and at farmers markets and didn’t even stop to check you out.
Kohlrabi, like kale, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower, is bred from the wild cabbage plant, and I was honestly nervous to create a recipe with it. To be completely honest, this is the first time I have even tasted kohlrabi. It has a similar taste to broccoli stems, but milder and sweeter – which is good, because I’m not a huge fan of raw broccoli.
my challenge if I chose to accept it
The Local Beet challenged me to come up with a recipe for this obscure ingredient. I happily accepted my challenge, and to kick it up a notch – why not THREE obscure CSA ingredients at once! Kohlrabi, fennel and garlic scapes!
raw kohlrabi, kale, fennel + garlic scape salad with roasted red pepper cream sauce
serves 3-4 as a side
- 1 kohlrabi stem, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly siced
- 1 garlic scape, diced
- 2-3 kale leaves, I used lacinato, sliced into bite sized ribbons
- 1 tbsp. roasted red pepper
- 1 tbsp. raw cashews (you could also use brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, pistachios or pine nuts)
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. white miso paste (I used a soy-free version made from chickpeas)
- 1 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. capers
- juice of 1/2- 1 lemon (to thin the dressing)
- pinch sea salt
- To make the dressing, place all dressing ingredients in a blender or small food processer and blend/process until smooth
- Place sliced kohlrabi, fennel and garlic scapes into a large bowl and toss with all the dressing to coat
- Let marinate overnight (I forgot about it and let it marinate 2 nights, it still rocked!)
- Add the kale just before serving, toss with the rest of the ingredients and serve
I’m happy to tell you I no longer fear the kohlrabi and will be hoping for more in my CSA!
Find me on the web at www.BarefootEssence.com where I talk vegan awesomeness + urban-minimalist ramblings. Get oodles of free weekly support on your journey to an unfussy + unprocessed life with super easy vegan + gluten-free recipes by signing up for free updates.