Last Minute Thanksgiving Recipe Ideas from the Sustainable Cook
Thanksgiving is less than a week a way. Many of us have ideas of what to make; others have a vague sense that the meal will contain turkey and something. What that something will be, they are not quite sure. Over the years, for the Local Beet, I’ve provided many recipes suitable for this time of year. I’ve collected many of my recipes for Thanksgiving below. All the recipes consist of items available NOW from you CSA box, at area farmer’s markets, or at places like Green Grocer Chicago. Have a happy, sustainable, local holiday again this year.
- Kohlrabi, cabbage and apple slaw – This makes for a refreshing salad in contrast to all the heavy dishes usually around the table
- Potato, spinach and goat cheese pie – Great for providing a hearty entree to vegetarians.
- Pumpkin marscapone cheesecake – A family favorite
- Butternut squash rosemary puree – In the spirit of our Pilgrim friends
- Sunchoke gratin – You can find plenty of sunchokes in the markets for this crowd pleaser
- Parmesan potatoes anna – This will impress Mom
- Beet humus – A show-stopping appetizer
- Rutabaga puree – We’re rooting for you not to overlook this cold weather favorite
- Brussels Sprouts with Salad Turnips, Pomegranates and Pistachios – Something not found on the Pilgrim’s table
- French fry stuffing – Don’t you dare, yes dare!
- Beet Choux Puffs Filled with Goat Cheese Mousse and Micro Greens – Another way to impress Mom