Skokie Farmers Market: 10/31/2010 Final Market Update
Sundays, June 27 through October 31
7:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
5127 Oakton St.
Sad to say, last Sunday marked the final session for the 2010 Skokie farmers market. The SFM had a solid season, as always – dependable vendors, a good variety of produce, and enough competition to render prices lower than most North Shore markets. I was not expecting the rollicking bargains to be had that day, though – and the Village of Skokie even handed out trick-or-treat bags. Very festive, indeed, befitting the holiday.
The final roll call of the farmers and vendors in attendance on Halloween follows; also included are web addresses and off-season buying information, if available:
- KAP Farms, Fox River Grove/Troy, IL: The bargain overripe tomatoes were only a buck per basket this week, and they were giving away pumpkins. Not just little ones, but every pumpkin in stock, even the warted, French, and white designer varieties.
- A. Dongvillo Farm, St. Joseph, MI: just apples today (and many corny but funny jokes)
- T&H Farms, Marengo, IL: gigantic flowering kale for $5; hollyhocks were BOGO.
- R&B Miller Farms, Coloma, MI: apples and honey, but unfortunately, no bulk cranberries
- Heritage Orchards, Benton Harbor, MI: the usual myriad apple varieties; this was a good day for bakers and sauce-makers to stock up, as discounts were being given on 10-lb or greater purchases, as well as on half-bushels
- M&D Farms, Homer Glen, IL: I inquired, “How much are the pumpkins?” The seller waved a hand at the trio of big, handsome pumpkins and squash on the table, and sighed, “You can have them all for a dollar.” Timing is everything at a farmers market, particularly the last one of for the year.
- River Valley Farms, Burlington, WI: the usual good variety of mushrooms, pasta sauces, and such: https://www.rivervalleykitchens.com
- Let’s Spice it Up!, Highwood, IL: no rogue truck-door mishaps for this spice vendor this week. . . http://store.letsspiceitup.com/servlet/StoreFront
- Pasta by Sue, Carpentersville, IL: http://www.pastabysue.com/
- Hair of the Ferret salsa, Crown Point, IN: http://www.hairoftheferret.com/
- Tony’s Knife Sharpening, Schaumburg, IL
- Pastries by La Venture: quick breads, donuts, fruit pies
- White Star: beverages, goat cheese, small baked goods
- Sweety Pies, Skokie, IL: pies, cookies, brownies; http://www.sweetypiesbakery.com/
- That Pickle Guy, Lisle, IL: pickles, giardinera, relishes of all sorts, now available at Whole Foods all year long: http://www.thatpickleguy.com/
- The Cheese People: high-end cheese: http://thecheesepeople.com/