Skokie Farmers Market: 10/24/10 Update
Skokie Farmers Market
Sundays, June 27 through October 31
7:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
5127 Oakton St.
Free parking lot between Skokie Public Library and Skokie Village Hall
Produce offerings for the ongoing Midwest harvest season this week – the penultimate Skokie market for 2010 – included:
- KAP Farms, Fox River Grove/Troy, IL: Brussels sprouts on the stalk; tomatoes (the $2/basket overripe sale continues); cheese pumpkins, beets, turnips, fennel, potatoes, fresh herbs, including greenhouse-grown basil
- A. Dongvillo Farm, St. Joseph, MI: apples, Bosc and Bartlett pears, prune plums
- T&H Farms, Marengo, IL: Fall décor/produce sale: gigantic flowering kale for $5, plus chrysanthemums, blue/white/warted/’Cinderella’ deco pumpkins, statice, potted perennial hollyhocks, and asparagus ferns; Brussels sprouts on the stalk, onions, honey, cider
- R&B Miller Farms, Coloma, MI: six types of apples, honey, bulk cranberries ($4/lb
- Heritage Orchards, Benton Harbor, MI: a panoply of apples: Jonagold, Conrail, Fuji, Golden Delicious, Golden Russet, Candy Crisp, Sun Crisp, Honey Crisp, and several others, by the pound and by the half-bushel ($18)
- M&D Farms, Homer Glen, IL: broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts (off the stalk); radishes, eggplant; red, green, and yellow bell peppers; sugar and ‘Wee Be Little’ pumpkins; gourds; concrete gargoyles, just in time for the season
- Oosterhoff & Sons, Momence, IL: Gladioli, eucalyptus, tuberoses, chrysanthemum plants (2 gal size)
- River Valley Farms, Burlington, WI: besides the usual variety of mushrooms and sauces, River Valley featured caramel apples, 5-cheese garlic spread, and portabella & Swiss bratwurst ($8/lb) – one stop WI shopping