Skokie Farmers Market: 10/17/2010 Update
Skokie Farmers Market
Sundays, June 27 through October 31
7:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
5127 Oakton St.
Free parking lot between Skokie Public Library and Skokie Village Hall
This lovely, quiet fall day at the Skokie farmers market was enlivened by the brisk 12:45 departure of the vendor truck belonging to “Let’s Spice it Up!” onto busy Oakton Avenue – with its back doors wide open. This set off a chorus of shrieking, arm-waving fellow vendors, albeit to no avail – the truck sped away, and disappeared, door flapping in the breeze. What’s the hurry, fellas?
On a more tranquil note, new produce offerings for the ongoing Midwest harvest season included:
- KAP Farms, Fox River Grove/Troy, IL: pie pumpkins for $1.50 ea., plus what must surely be the end of the bountiful tomato crop for the season
- A. Dongvillo Farm, St. Joseph, MI: several varieties of apples, Bosc and Bartlett pears, prune plums
- T&H Farms, Marengo, IL: big decorative presentation this week: flowering kale, chrysanthemums, and pumpkins, plus potted perennial hollyhocks and lavender. Late season produce included Brussels sprouts on the stalk, gigantic cauliflower, equally outsized zucchini – and watermelon!
- Heritage Orchards, Benton Harbor, MI: Myriad apple varieties: Jonagold, Suncrisp, Mutsu, Swiss Gourmet, Jonathan, Honey Crisp, and several others, by the pound and by the bushel; cider
- M&D Farms, Homer Glen, IL: last of the tomatoes, last of the sweet corn
- Oosterhoff & Sons, Momence, IL: Gladioli, eucalyptus, tuberoses, chrysanthemum plants (2 gal size)
- River Valley Farms, Burlington, WI: shiitake, portabella, and oyster mushrooms, as well as the standard button