Skokie Farmers Market: 10/10/2010 Update
Skokie Farmers Market
Sundays, June 27 through October 31
7:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
5127 Oakton St.
Free parking lot between Skokie Public Library and Skokie Village Hall
This perfect – and verywarm – fall day was enhanced by bluegrass music, courtesy of the Northshore Adventist Academy Bluegrass Band. The music was the perfect accompaniment for strolling about and comparing the offerings of the various vendors, especially the numerous apple varieties.
New produce offerings for the Midwest harvest season included:
- KAP Farms, Fox River Grove/Troy, IL: two varieties of mustard greens, spaghetti squash, the last of the sweet corn; large ‘Carnival’ decorative gourds, and a large variety of non-standard pumpkins, including warted and white ‘Ghost,’ plus pie pumpkins for $1.50 ea.
- R&B, Farms, Coloma, MI: Granny Smith, Cort Glen, and Granny Smith apples; cider
- Heritage Orchards, Benton Harbor, MI: Myriad apple varieties: Jonagold, Suncrisp, Mutsu, Swiss Gourmet, Jonathan, HoneyCrisp, by the pound and by the bushel ; the last of the season field-grown tomatoes, $1.80/lb
- M&D Farms, Homer Glen, IL: poblano chiles; tiny round pumpkins
- Oosterhoff & Sons, Momence, IL: Gladioli, eucalyptus, tuberoses, chrysanthemum plants (2 gal size)
- Patz Maple & Honey Farm, Pound, WI: The final appearance at the 2010 Skokie market for this vendor. Honey varietals and blends, maple sugar & syrup, and all manner of bee-related products (wax, pollen, etc.)