Skokie Farmers Market: 9/12/2010 Update
Skokie Farmers Market
Sundays, June 27 through October 31
7:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
5127 Oakton St.
Free parking lot between Skokie Public Library and Skokie Village Hall
The 12th was a perfectly lovely September Sunday morning in Skokie, and a great chance for those who shied away from shopping outdoors in the rain on Saturday to pick up late summer’s bounty, as well as a delicious preview of fall. New and in-season produce offerings included:
- Noffke Farms, Coloma, MI: prune plums, Honey Crisp apples, Bartlett pears
- T& H Farms, Marengo, IL: large hardy chrysanthemums, flowering kale, mixed cut flower bouquets, incorporating sea oats; large field-grown tomatoes for $1.50 per lb., and gigantic zucchini for $3.00
- KAP Farms, Fox River Grove/Troy, IL: root vegetables for fall: beets, kohlrabi, carrots, beets; also small ‘kebob’ (boiling) onions, mixed colors, for $3.00 per pint
- A. Dongvillo Farm, St. Joseph, MI: two varieties of grapes, prune plums, peaches, blueberries
- R&B Miller Farms, Coloma, MI: several varieties of apples – Gala, Cortland, Jonathan, Fuji, Honey Crisp, & Golden Supreme; also Bartlett pears and comb honey
- Heritage Orchards, Benton Harbor, MI: Swiss Gourmet, Elstar, Ginger Gold, & Honey Crisp apples; Stanley purple plums
- M&D Farms, Homer Glen, IL: Peppers & chiles: poblano, cubanelle, jalapeno, ‘Gypsy’ sweet yellow peppers, yellow & green bells
- River Valley Farms, Burlington, WI: in addition to the usual variety of portabella/oyster/shiitake mushrooms and prepared sauces, River Valley also was carrying onions and shallots this week
- Oosterhoff & Sons, Momence, IL: Celosia (both cockscomb & plume types), zinnias, eucalyptus, & tuberoses
- Greg Bartoshuk: a local daylily hybridizer of 25 years experience; sells/trades a large assortment of 1st quality ready-to-plant roots, and provides a wealth of planting and care advice. 3 or 4/$10, depending on time of day; see his page at daylilytrader.com for varieties and more information.