Skokie Farmers Market: 9/5/10 Update
Skokie Farmers Market
Sundays, June 27 through October 31
7:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
5127 Oakton St.
Free parking lot between Skokie Public Library and Skokie Village Hall
After a last Sunday’s premature closing (due to a weekend carnival that actually shut down Oakton Street for several blocks), the market was back in full force this week. New and in-season produce offerings included:
- T& H Farms, Marengo, IL: Autumn live decor included decorative chile plants, potted lavender, large hardy chrysanthemums
- R&B Miller Farms: pears, apples, peaches; blueberries still available for now
- Heritage Orchards, Benton Harbor, MI: ‘Elstar’ and ‘Ginger Gold’ apples; peaches, $1.80 for first quality, $1.25 for seconds (perfect for same-day peach ice cream, and difficult to find this year, due to the 2010 growing season weather conditions)
- Patz Maple & Honey Farm, Pound, WI: The penultimate appearance at the 2010 Skokie market for this vendor, the last being on October 10th. Varietal and flavored honeys, bulk bee pollen, beeswax; a new appearance this week was a selection of Christmas tree-shaped beeswax candles in various sizes. Patz also sells Wisconsin maple syrup, maple sugar, and maple candies.
- Oosterhoff & Sons, Momence, IL: Asiatic lilies, single-color snapdragon bouquets