Ravinia Farmers Market – August 11th, 2010 Update
Roger Williams Dr., East of Green Bay Road
Adjacent to Jens Jensen Park
Highland Park (Ravinia), IL
Hours: 7:00 AM – 1:00 PM Wednesdays, June 16th through October 20th
This week’s Neighborhood Feature: Field Violin Workshop, 451 Roger Williams Ave., across the street from the aforementioned Jens Jensen Park; owned and operated by Gerald Field, violin maker.
Mr. Field sells, rents, and repairs violins, violas, cellos, and the bows for playing them, and sells “Strings” magazine, a publication devoted solely to stringed instruments, as well as a selection of esoteric sheet music. Field is also a master rehairer of fine quality bows, having performed this hard to find service since the mid-1970’s, when he was a student at the Chicago School of Violinmaking; he estimated that he has restored thousands of bows to immaculate condition. The business was established in 1979, and has been at this cozy location since 1980; like Jens Jensen Park, this store is unique to Ravinia, and obviously appropriate to its music-intensive location. Worth a visit.
Hours: Tues – Fri 9:30 – 6; Sat 9:30 – 5; closed Sunday and Monday. Phone: 847-433-8522
August 11th Update – What was new and in season this week:
- Klug Orchards, Berrien Center, MI: Still had lots of blueberries on offer, $4 per pint. Klug is now displaying the orchard’s organic certification.
- Dennis Acres, Barrington Hills, IL : garlic, shallots, heirloom tomatoes, carrots
- KAP Farms, Fox River Grove/downstate, IL: kohlrabi, leeks, purple cauliflower
- Red Barn Farms, Woodstock, IL: dill weed and pickle cucumbers, tomatillos, white, Italian, and Japanese eggplant; muskmelons, Crenshaw & honeydew melons, yellow-fleshed watermelons (the hot, humid weather has greatly accelerated the season)
- K&K Farms, Coloma, MI: peaches & nectarines – a large mixed bag of a combo of both fruits, very ripe and fragrant and perfect for immediate jam-making, was an exceedingly reasonable $2
- High-Rise Baking Company, Chicago: Pretzel rolls and buns, and brioche rolls; baguettes in two sizes; gigantic cinnamon rolls, several varieties of muffins (the selection this week included bran, cranberry, chocolate chip, strawberry-cream cheese, and poppy seed)
- LeilaLove: now carrying two varieties of Nama Namdar’s pomegranate/olive tapenade – the newer version incorporates chopped red olives. A decorative and tasty addition to a Mediterranean-style appetizer platter, in combination with hummus, pita chips or bread, and sliced cucumbers