From Our Beet Reporters – The Skokie Farmer’s Market
Another long-standing North Shore market, the Skokie market has been in existence for over 30 years; the somewhat short hours for the market are dictated by the Sunday hours of the Skokie Public Library, which uses the parking lot on which the market is held.
I found the following sellers when I visited on July 11th.
- KAP Farms, Fox River Grove, IL; also a downstate IL farm at Troy (largest vendor at Skokie market; root crops, nine varieties of potatoes, several colors of cauliflower, white asparagus, greens, several varieties of tomatoes, sweet corn, muskmelons, hot & sweet peppers)
- M&D Farm, Homer Glen, IL (tomatoes, green peppers, onions, root crops, vine crops, sweet corn, perennial plants)
- R&B Miller Farms, Coloma, MI (berries, stone fruits, jams, honey)
- Noffke Family Farm, Coloma, MI (plums, apricots, berries)
- A. Dongvillo Farm, St. Joseph, MI (stone fruits, berries)
- T&H Farms, Marengo, IL (large variety of items: roses, small & large potted perennials, bedding plants, very large tomato plants, and gigantic potted sunflowers, 6+ feet tall; also honey, herbs, and some vegetables)
- Oosterhoff & Sons, (cut flowers, especially gladioli, Asiatic and Oriental lilies; small seed-grown perennial plants, featured this week at $2.00)
- La Venture (quick breads, donuts, fruit pies, kolacky)
- Sweety Pies, Skokie, IL (pies, cookies, brownies; http://www.sweetypiesbakery.com/ )
- That Pickle Guy, Lisle, IL (pickles, giardinera, relishes, muffaletta olive salad; http://www.thatpickleguy.com/)
- The Cheese People (cheese; http://thecheesepeople.com/)
- Hair of the Ferret (salsas; http://www.hairoftheferret.com/)
- Let’s Spice It Up! (jarred herbs, spices, hot sauce, jerk marinades; http://store.letsspiceitup.com/servlet/StoreFront)
- River Valley Mushrooms, Burlington, WI (mushrooms, pasta sauces, soups, jarred pickled mushrooms, vegetarian chili; https://www.rivervalleykitchens.com/)
- Pasta by Sue, Carpentersville, IL (pasta, sauces, biscotti; http://www.pastabysue.com/)
- White Star (lemonade, limeade, pastries, goat cheese)
- Tony’s Knife Sharpening, Schaumburg, IL
- Purple Clay Pottery (cachepots, planters, orchid pots; http://www.purpleclay-usa.com/)
Skokie Farmers Market
Sundays, June 27 through October 31
7:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
5127 Oakton St.
Free parking lot between Skokie Public Library and Skokie Village Hall