What Do I Do With 8-1/2 Quarts Of Strawberries?

June 15, 2010 at 11:09 am

During a morning of strawberry picking this Sunday, I was seduced by the abundance of the strawberry patch, and in less than an hour, picked myself over 8-1/2 quarts of strawberries, roughly 12 1/2 pounds. What do I do with all these strawberries?

My strawberry haul

My strawberry haul

I was already planning to can strawberry jam, eat some out of hand, and make sorbet. But that’s not going to make a dent. I’d like to avoid freezing them — I’m not crazy about the mushy texture of strawberries after they’re frozen. If anyone has any other ideas for me, please post. Otherwise, I’ll let you know what happens. . .

1. danielle says:

make this:

its literally the best dessert i’ve ever had.

also try grilling them and tossing them w some thinly sliced steak in a spinach salad w a balsamic vinaigrette.

2. Amy says:

Does that frozen texture apply to homemade strawberry ice cream in addition to the sorbet? How about strawberry topping for cheesecake, or filling for pie?

3. Michael Morowitz says:

We picked up a case at a pretty good price at the Evanston Farmers Market a couple weeks ago. I wound up freezing half of them mainly because it’s a very low-labor way of preserving. Yes, the texture of a whole berry isn’t good after thawing, but there are plenty of other uses for frozen strawberries in the winter: smoothies, ice cream, puree for desserts/oatmeal/pancake batter/etc. I have fewer uses for jam than I do for frozen berries or frozen puree.

4. Tim says:

I second the pie suggestion. I’ve been seeing some rhubard around and Strawberry-Rhubard pie is always good. I’d start throwing them on your salads too.

5. Wendy Aeschlimann says:

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep ‘em coming! I really do not want to freeze the berries. I’ve done it before and I don’t like that strawberries leech their juice (and consquently all of their flavor) during the thawing process. I’ve had better success freezing other berries.

Danielle- That tart looks amazing. I am definitely making that and will post back.
    Tim – I am getting spinach in today’s CSA box, so I definitely see a strawberry spinach salad in my future tonight.

6. Michele Hays says:

I know you aren’t looking to freeze them as strawberries – but (though we haven’t yet gone strawberrying after our first failed attempt) I thought this year I might make two things: This Strawberry-Buttermilk gelato, which really looks good – http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=226603&adsqs=raid:1717314

and then I thought I might make my own Ice Pops using strawberry puree, fruit juice concentrate (for sweetener) and my FoodSaver.

7. KatieK says:

Host a party and make strawberry daiquiris!

8. Melissa Owens says:

I’ve been making salads out of arugula, goat cheese and strawberries with a bit of balsamic. On Mark Bittman’s blog there’s a post about cooking down the strawberries into a vareyne – I made some not quite two weeks ago, put it in the fridge, and will eat the last of it tonight – makes a great syrupy topping for vanilla ice cream: http://markbittman.com/click-here-to-set-a-post-title-177.

I did make up a huge batch of strawberry crepes for dinner one night. Pretty decadent for dinner, but strawberries only come around once a year!

9. Tee says:

I am generally not much of a baked goods person, and I don’t like cake or cupcakes much in general – same with hubby – but we both really enjoyed this recipe for strawberry cupcakes. They were easy to share with friends and family too!

Also there is a list along the left side of the page with ingredients and other menus that use those ingredients – I see 28 for strawberries. Many of the others look good but so far the cupcakes one is the only one I have tried.

Strawberries are so great with spinach salads too. Maybe something like this – clicking on strawberry vinegar in the ingredients list links to a separate recipe for that. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spinach-Salad-with-Strawberry-Vinaigrette-238931