MARKET WATCH: Big Earth Day Weekend!
Earth Day was yesterday, but the festivities have only begun. The weekend is the best time for many of the events to attract a crowd, and the events are spread out over several weekends. The list below is NOT exhaustive, so please add in the comments any other events for this weekend or the next few weeks that you’re aware of . Start off with a couple of regularly scheduled winter farmers markets:
- Green City Market – Saturday, April 24, 8am to 1pm. This is the final market for the indoor season in the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum. Expect great things!
- Portage Park Farmers Market – Saturday, April 24, 10am to 2pm. The park itself is at Central Ave & Irving Park Rd, but the market is held in the NE corner at Berteau & Long. Weather permitting, the vendors will be outside in their usual summer spot while other Earth Day activities take place throughout the park and fieldhouse.
- Geneva Community Market - Saturday, April 24, 9am to 1pm. A wide array of vendors come together at the Inglenook Pantry in Geneva to satisfy your needs.
And here are some great one-time events, some annual, some first time tries. Check them out!
- 5K for Earth Day/Green Living Expo – Saturday, April 24, 7am to 3pm. This ambitious event celebrates the 40th anniversary of Earth Day by getting folks up and running or walking in Humboldt Park. A full program of events is planned; check the listing for times and locations within the park.
- Green & Growing Fair – Saturday, April 24, 10am to 3pm. All things gardening at the 18th annual event held inside and outside the Garfield Park Conservatory. There’ll be hands-on workshops, speakers, demonstrations, and vendors with bedding plants, composting worms, and much, much more. Admission is FREE; get inspired for your garden by wandering through the beautiful conservatory while you’re there.
- Sustainable with Style-Green Boutique & Garden Expo – Saturday/Sunday, April 24/25, 11am to 5pm, at the Morton Arboretum in Lisle as part of their Arbor Week celebrations. Get ideas on how to live a green lifestyle with this showcase of eco-friendly products and services from local vendors. FREE with Arboretum admission.
- Hoffman Estates Earth Day Celebration – Saturday, April 24, 10am to 12noon. This is a FREE community event held outdoors in Vogelei Park (moving indoors in case of rain) that encourages active lifestyles and healthy living while also connecting individuals with green solutions.
- Elgin’s Green Expo-Solutions for a Sustainable Community – Saturday, May 8, 9am to 4pm (NOT this weekend!) This annual expo will focus on all things green and energy efficient, but with special emphasis on older home retrofits, sustainable gardens and landscaping, and new technologies and innovative products for your home, businesses or community. Admission is FREE.
No doubt this list just scratches the surface. Please add other events in the comments below. Hope to see you out and about this spring!