MARKET WATCH: Come down to the Castle!
The final market of the Winter Farmers Market season will be held at The Castle, the Beverly landmark that is home to Beverly Unitarian Church. The Church has an active Green Sanctuary Group and is home to Chicago’s first rapid-charging station for electric vehicles which was installed in February 2008. In keeping with that nod to alternative means of travel, Working Bikes Co-op will be on hand to accept donations of used bicycles to refurbish and distribute. If we’re lucky, they might have on hand one of the stationary bikes used to fuel small appliances!
Which brings us back to food….and farmers markets. The lucky South Side will have access to some of the best winter/spring offerings around:
- River Valley Kitchens, with fresh mushrooms & fabulous jars ranging from pickled mushrooms to five-cheese spread to pasta sauces.
- Videnovich Farms with green garlic, maybe nettles & sorrel, and of course her hand-spun yarn from her sheep.
- Herbally Yours with infused vinegars, dried herbs & grilling rubs just in time to hone your spring grilling skills.
- Seedling Fruit will have cider, dried fruits, apple & pear butters & preserves.
- Dennanne Farms with honey,beeswax candles & soaps.
- Natural Beauty by Margie with spa & facial products made from her home-grown herbs.
- C&D Family Farms with grass-fed beef, pastured pork & free-range chicken & eggs; no doubt Crystal will have something cooking as well.
- Kinkoona Farm will have raw wool fibers, wool batting, and thick, wool-stuffed comforters & mattress toppers as well as Wisconsin sorghum syrup; Kinkoona also offers summer day camps for kids & info on a multi-farm tour coming up on Mothers’ Day weekend.
- Tomato Mountain Farm will be offering samples of organic salsas, preserves & Bloody Mary mix with a kick….no, not that kind of kick—it’s from jalapeño! We’ll also have information on our home-delivered CSA.
- Ruth & Phil’s Gourmet Ice Cream will be sampling her latest locally-sourced & artisan ice creams and sorbets.
- Bread from the Heart brings her whole wheat breads & Ropp Jersey Cheese, AquaRanch’s sweet basil vinaigrette, and maybe a few surprises.
- The Sisters from Fraternite Notre Dame always have baguettes, croissants, tarts & pastries…some for now, some for later.
- Hand-crafted garden trellises will be available for purchase or custom order from Refugee Center for Hope (ReaCH), made by young Iraqi refugees to give them enough income to stay in English classes while they shape their new lives here.
- Wearables made from recycled wool sweaters, recycled denim tote bags & purses, fair trade coffee & tea, and more….
Lots of samples, a cafe to sit & enjoy some coffee & a croissant while you shop, and all in the unique setting of an Irish Castle. So, come on down!