The 61st Street Market’s Saturday Line Up
From Experimental Station’s Newsletter:
• Sherrie and Max at Genesis Growers are looking forward to introducing you to the many and wonderful varieties of vegetables they grow on their farm, right here in Illinois—Pearly Pink cherry tomatoes, rainbow-colored peppers, red celery….
• Ellis Family Farm and Hillside Orchards’ tables are starting to fill up with apples! There are also several kinds of plums (Methlys, Early Golds, Ontario and Shiro), as well as peaches, apricots and nectarines. I will try to relocate and send to you that fabulous apple pie recipe that Chuck Thurow (Hyde Park Art Center) made last year. Next week…
• On the meat front, Mint Creek Farm’s lamb is great for summer grilling, and Faith’s Farm bacon is outrageously good in a BLT. If you have not yet asked Brunos Organics about their meats, please do so. They carry grass-fed, sustainably-raised chicken and beef from Indiana.
• At 10:30am, making his return visit, Chef David West will be demonstrating preparation of his Amazing Anti-oxidant Fruit Salad.
• From 11:00am-2:00pm, join Pamela Martin and Esther Bowen from the University of Chicago at the Market School tent to learn how our food gets from the farm to Chicago.
• Lastly, don’t forget that the 61st Street Farmers Market accepts LINK, WIC, and Senior Coupons.