Bloggin’ My CSA: Delivery Four
A quick roundup of the delivery #3 usage. You’ve already seen the swiss chard tacos, which were clearly the highlight of this delivery. The green beans were pan-roasted with new potatoes and garnished with queso fresco:
Broccoli was roasted, cucumbers went into salads, and zucchini became more latkes (they’re popular in our house this year). Unfortunately, the celery did not survive. It was only a few days before it was wilted soft. I forgot about it. A few days later and it was completely unusable. (Oddly, I have a few stalks of standard organic celery from Whole Foods that’s a month old and it seems as good as new). So, 100% usage will not be, but maybe 97.5%?
Now, delivery four
This one is a little more fun than the last super green one. The contents:
- Green beans: I can never have too many. I just blanched and froze 3lbs. from Nichols
- Red “bottle” onions: Onions go easy in this house. I use them in everything.
- New potatoes: always make me think of roast chicken for some reason.
- Chives: will go in everything this week. They already went into a salad and omelet that I made for dinner tonight.
- Carrots: some of these will wind up in stock. My stock stocks are low. The rest? Roasted, most likely. Maybe a salad. Or maybe that Indian carrot dessert?
- More zucchini = more latkes
- Cucumbers: no problem
- Fennel: my favorite part of this delivery. Also steers me towards roast chicken.
- Portobello caps: I have a glut of River Valley criminis in the fridge right now. I’m getting a bit tired of mushrooms.
Let me know what you’d do with some of these things.