Grand Finale @ Eli’s – Debbie Hillman and Jim Braun – UPDATED
If last week’s festivities with the “Slice” joining in with Redmoon Theater as well as an AM Tweet-up was not grand enough, the Eli’s Cheesecake/Wright College Local Food Series ends with a real bang this week. The featured speakers are Debbie Hillman and Jim Braun, shepherds of the recently passed Illinois Food and Farms Act. For background on the Act see what Debbie and Jim wrote on the Local Beet in March (note this link also includes links to related reports). So, let’s list the reasons for coming to Eli’s this Thursday, July 30, 1 PM (and please add in the comments any reasons we have missed):
- Learn about the Illinois Food and Farm Act
- Get some “inside baseball” on how a bill is passed in the Illinois Assembly
- Enjoy the pipes of Jim Braun–he’s the kinda guy who can hold you rapt reading from the phone book
- Learn some Slow Food. Braun is a Director and can relate how Slow Food is becoming a more political, activist organization.
- Form your own Food Policy Council. Hillman organized and leads a Food Policy Council in Evanston. Learn how she did it, so you can duplicate in your community.
- Celebrate National Cheesecake Day with a FREE slice of Eli’s Cheesecake from 11 until 2
- Meet the Beet. We will be manning our market table again from about 10 until 1. We are there to answer all your eat local questions including how to prepare your seasonal foods, where to find various products, and how to preserve and store your seasonal bounty.
Through our pal Andie at Eli’s, we learn of at least one more good reason to be at Eli’s tomorrow: