Local, It’s Not Just for Salad
In a few weeks the Chicago’s Green City Market will sponsor a localvore challenge. Associating the challenge with a farmer’s market makes sense. Where is the easiest place to grab local food, but I think it also helps equate in people’s minds that eating local is all or only about fruits and veg. It aint. You can make local part of every meal you eat.
- Scramble up some James Farm eggs available from Cassie’s Green Grocer; side with Nueske’s slab bacon sold at Marion Street Cheese.
- For lunch grill one of Stan Schutte’s terrific brats and serve with a local mustard like Plochmans.
- Mid-afternoon pick up, try some Trader’s Point Creamery yogurt, or as my wife likes to call it, crack.
- Whole Foods usually carries Rushing Water’s farm raised rainbow trout, so how ’bout fish for dinner.
- And right before bed, perhaps a tiny bit of local chocolate.